Crabdom
Welcome to Crabdom. Please log into your account to participate in discussions or create an account. If you have trouble logging into your account please see the information on the left hand side of your screen.

I forgot my password

GMT
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 43 on Sun 23 Oct 2011, 5:46 am
Advertisement

Mass Effect 1 and 2 Comparison/Contrast

View previous topic View next topic Go down

. Mass Effect 1 and 2 Comparison/Contrast

Post by MonkeyBones23 on Thu 18 Aug 2011, 2:21 am

So yeah I feel like making a comparison topic where I will talk about the differences and similarities between the first two games of the Mass Effect series. I will be doing this with categories such as Story, Sound, Gameplay, Graphics, and any other little category I feel like doing.

"After all she has put me through, put us through, I've had enough of her. I'm glad she finally got the point after all these years."
MonkeyBones23
Emperor

Staff

User ID : 5
Respect : 2437

Back to top Go down

. Re: Mass Effect 1 and 2 Comparison/Contrast

Post by MonkeyBones23 on Thu 18 Aug 2011, 3:08 am

Story(There will spoilers for this category)

First off let me point out that I find this to be the most important part in this comparison. Therefore it will hold the most weight with me.

Let me also point out that these are only my opinions.

Mass Effect 1

Honestly, the story is the best part about this game. The universe, characters, and the whole purpose of the game are so in depth and well done.

There are only a little more than a handful of major "main story" missions as well as some minor missions that deal with recruitment or doing something a little less significant than moving the plot. But this isn't a drawback. These missions are so well done and each of them add something huge to the plot.

The main(sort of) enemy in the game, Saren, is one of the best "villians" that I have had the honor of dealing with. In each mission you feel the threat of him and figure out what he is planning. He has reasons for the things that he does. He believes that he was doing the right thing, which is something I like about a villian. The real main threat, the reapers, actually feel like a threat througout the game. You don't forget about them. Again, throughout the story things unravel so perfectly about what is going on. The plots line up so perfectly that by the end I was thinking damn, that was awesome. But obviously that's just my thoughts.

I have to say that from Virmire and on was the greatest story driven missions I have experienced.

Overall the story is what drives me to play it multiple times. I might even say it was the best that I have experienced.

Mass Effect 2

I have to say right off the bat, I know this is the middle game in a trilogy and there is only so much you can do with that.

With that being said you might know where this is heading.

The main focus of Mass Effect 2's story is recruiting characters and getting them loyal to you. The reason for this is because you are going on a suicide mission(really), and you intend to survive it. Throughout the game you will go on missions to recruit 10(12 if have DLC) (I think) characters that will join you on your mission. Eventually you will also receive what is called a Loyalty mission. These missions are important to complete as it sounds you gain that character's loyalty if you complete them the right way. Loyalty is important as it may determine whether certain characters live or die.

Here is the problem I have with this story. It almost completely disregards the reapers, who are the main threat to the entire galaxy. The focused enemy of this game are the collectors, who are being used by the Reapers to collect Humans planet by planet. The collectors are lead by the Collector General, which you learn at the end of the game is being controlled by a Reaper. But overall the Reapers do not play any threat, which I thought was disappointing.

There are a few missions in between the character recruitments that actually advance the plot of the Collectors and Reapers, which I enjoy. It's not like the character recruitments are bad. It's just that it's not really a story. The story is to destroy the collector base by going on this suicide mission. I just felt that there was really no story how there was in the first Mass Effect that actually moved the entire plot along. The story is to recruit these characters and you learn more about them, but overall it doesn't add much to the overall plot of the collectors or reapers. Just something I didn't like.

Despite all the stuff I said about the character missions the story is still quite great. The collectors are a threat on their own and more is learned about the Reapers and other lore in the universe is explained as well. Everything ties in together with Mass Effect 1 well and prepares for the final game in Mass Effect 3.

Verdict:
Mass Effect 1: 10/10
Mass Effect 2: 7.5/10

Feel free to add your own comparison or just your own verdicts as well.

"After all she has put me through, put us through, I've had enough of her. I'm glad she finally got the point after all these years."
MonkeyBones23
Emperor

Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDeathkeeper on Tue 23 Aug 2011, 5:49 am

I'm usually more forgiving to game stories. All in all, ME1, while still extremely entertaining, was a bit repetitive in its slew of collection quests and assignments with a long boring Mako rides culminating in one of three reused buildings. They were still fun, but ME2's more unique N7 assignments (how was I supposed to find all those by myself?) seemed more thought out. All in all, I rate them equally- ME1 for a better, more driven story, ME2, for better core gameplay (except the mining minigame).
Hopefully 3 will have both, so everyone can be at least mostly satisfied, except those who think that RPGs can't have decently paced shooter gameplay. Who irritate me, because ME2 really just seemed like ME1 with smoother controls in that department; I don't get the hate.
LordDeathkeeper
Bar Landlord

User ID : 20
Respect : 2292

Back to top Go down

Post by jroriginal on Tue 23 Aug 2011, 5:54 am

Mweh, I preferred ME2. Wink

I want to have a full on naked embrace. Holding her close to me while her nipples grace my chest. As she sits on me and wraps her legs around me and we move up and down as our lips lock...
-Jemoore
My mother is worried I have mental problems. I found a book about teenage paranoid delusions during a routine search of my parents' bedroom.
Spoiler:
Sometimes you have to put your priorities before your principles.

-Both by Oliver Tate (From the film Submarine)
jroriginal
Supreme Elder

Admin

User ID : 1
Respect : 3048

http://crabdom.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by MonkeyBones23 on Wed 24 Aug 2011, 3:46 am

I'm so lazy to continue......I'll get there eventually...

MonkeyBones23
Emperor

Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by LaLiLuLeLo on Fri 26 Aug 2011, 9:28 am

I would like to disagree with you monkey on the issue of the Collectors and Reapers in the second one. I think they did that rather well with the story, and made it work logically. The Reaper in the first one was the only reaper left on that side, so with him destroyed, the Reapers couldn't be the major threat without having a conduit to get there. The Collectors were that conduit, between building a new Reaper and giving them access to the galaxy, they were bringing about the Reaper threat. I think they followed the storylines and plots they set about in the first game very well, and that the second improved in most ways upon the first, although I prefer the leveling system to be somewhere between the two games' mechanics.
LaLiLuLeLo
Bar Landlord

User ID : 16
Respect : 2331

Back to top Go down

Post by MonkeyBones23 on Fri 26 Aug 2011, 9:47 am

I understand what you are saying and agree that they set it up for that way. I just prefer the repear threat over the collector threat. I just wanted more from the reapers, but I know why it didn't happen. I'm just saying how the major threat for the series are the Reapers and they didn't get much screen time at all.

MonkeyBones23
Emperor

Staff

Back to top Go down

Post by LaLiLuLeLo on Fri 26 Aug 2011, 10:00 am

I understand your point of view, I was just trying to help by maybe lending some clarification. The way I view it, Lord of the Rings Return of the King wouldn't be nearly as great if they didn't build up to the huge fights against impossible odds with the events of the previous movies, and that is what I felt they did Mass Effect. Hopefully that analogy makes sense...
LaLiLuLeLo
Bar Landlord

User ID : 16
Respect : 2331

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top